Snow bound in my home, I got a hankering for some curry chicken. I pulled out the crock pot and started chucking ingredients inside. No recipe handy, I made it up on the fly. Because I track what I eat, I wrote everything down.
It was delicious and filling — I left food in the bowl! I plan to make it again, but will try to work out a way to thicken-up the sauce. I don’t want to use flour — too many carbs. Maybe more yogurt. It cooked for 3 hours on high, so next time I might try 7 hours on low to see if that cooks out some of the water.
Crock Pot Chicken Curry With Cauliflower Rice
Net Carbs: 7
Weight Watchers PlusPoints: 3
Servings: About 8
- tomato sauce, low carb, 15 ounces
- 1/2 c chicken stock
- 1/2 c coconut milk
- 2-3 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 lbs. chicken (boneless, skinless, fat trimmed)
- Garlic, 2 cloves, diced
- Onion, sliced
- Green Bell Pepper, diced into medium-sized chunks
- 1/2 c Cilantro, chopped + several springs
- Greek Yogurt, plain, fat-free
- Combine tomato sauce, stock, milk and spices in crock pot; mix well.
- Add chicken, garlic onion and peppers; use tongs to coat chicken, onions and peppers with sauce.
- Heat on high for 3-4 hours or low for 7-8 hours.
- About 30 minutes before curry is done, core the cauliflower and remove the green leaves.
- Using a hand grater or food processor, grate the cauliflower.
- Heat a skillet on medium (no oil or water needed as the cauliflower has enough water) and add the cauliflower. Stirring constantly, cook 5-7 minutes until cauliflower is tender.
- Once cauliflower is tender, mix in 1/2 cup of cilantro.
- Turn off the crock pot and stir in the yogurt, mixing well. Serve over the cauliflower and add a couple of sprigs of fresh cilantro.