Avocado and basil…two wonderful flavors joined to make a healthy, tasty and creamy salad dressing.
I found it recipe on the Nom Nom Paleo app — a must for every healthy kitchen. An app review is coming soon (hint: it is awesome!).
The dressing reminded me of a creamier version of my pesto, with the avocado flavor taking the place of my beloved walnuts.
It’s a pretty thick dressing thanks to the avocado. If you want it a little thinner, I suggest adding a more lime juice. But not too much more…you really want to keep the great avocado-basil flavors. You can also just use a couple of tablespoons of water.
If you rather not thin it, I’d suggest tossing the dressing and salad in a bowl before serving.
For dinner we had Chorizo-Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms (that recipe will be up tomorrow). I just added a side of mixed greens with tomato and a tablespoon (half the serving size) of the dressing on top. Yum!
Avocado & Basil Dressing
Net Carbs: 1g
Weight Watchers Points Plus: 3
Servings: 2 tbsp/serving (total of 8 servings)
- 1 medium Hass avocado
- 1 C basil leaves, packed
- 2 garlic cloves
- fresh lime juice from 1.5-2 limes
- Kosher salt
- ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 C extra virgin olive oil
- 1-2 tbsp water (optional)
- Remove the skin and pit from the avocado and place in a food processor. Add in the basil leaves, garlic, lime juice, salt, red and black peppers, and olive oil.
- Mix all the ingredients until well blended.
- If too thick, try adding water or juice from 1/2 lime.