🍎Essential Kitchen Tools And Books For Low Carb Living
Some or all links listed on this page are affiliate links for products that I’ll earn a tiny commission on per-sale. The cost to you, if you buy anything, is absolutely nothing.
1⃣Version 1. Immersion Blender Method (with avocado oil)
From the book: Nom Nom Paleo: Food for Humans by Michelle Tam and Henry Frong (http://amzn.to/2j8SXFl)
Yields: 1 Cup; Serving size: 2 tbsp.
Total Carbs: 0.3g
Total Net Carbs: 0.3g
248 Calories/0.3g Protein/28.6g Fat/0 Fiber
1 Large egg yolk
1 tbsp. Lemon juice
1 tbsp. Water
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
1 C Avocado oil (can also use light olive oil or macadamia nut oil)
Kosher salt, to taste
🔔Note: It can take time to get use to the taste of mayonnaise that uses avocado oil. Quality of oil used is important too. Unfortunately avocado oil is expensive. When picking avocado oil you want to find one that is unrefined and cold pressed. Primal Kitchen is my preferred brand. While it sells on Amazon (http://amzn.to/2BxKKmf) you can purchase it via the Thrive Market for usually a lower cost (https://thrivemarket.com/primal-kitchen-california-extra-virgin-avocado-oil) and both places sell the non-extra version too.
1. Add the egg yolk, lemon juice, water and mustard into an immersion blender cup. Next add in the oil on top.
2. Place the head of the immersion blender at the bottom of the cup and begin to pulse. As the mayo starts to blend, be sure to carefully lift and tilt the head of the Immersion blender so the mayonnaise forms evenly.
3. Season to taste with kosher salt. Place the mayonnaise in a tightly sealed container in your refrigerator for 1-2 weeks.
2⃣Version 2. Blender Method (with light olive oil for a more traditional taste)
Yields: 1.25 Cups; Serving size: 2 tbsp.
Total Carbs: 0.5g
Total Net Carbs: 0.5g
258 Calories/0.8g Protein/29.4g Fat/0 Fiber
3 egg yolks
1 tsp. dijon mustard
1.25 cups Light olive oil
Juice from 1 lemon
Kosher salt, to taste
Black pepper, to taste
KitchenAid 5-Speed Diamond Blender http://amzn.to/2CFFzQS
Condiment Squeeze Bottle http://amzn.to/2B0FoPo
🔔Note: You can use an immersion blender, but you must use a non-skid stainless steel bowl so you can pour with one hand and blend with the other.
1. Add 3 eggs and mustard to food processor or blender and mix thoroughly.
2. While the blender/food processor is still running, slowly drizzle in the oil.
3. After you’ve added in all the oil and the mixture has emulsified, add in lemon juice and salt to taste. Keep refrigerated in a tightly sealed container for 1-2 weeks.
Creating Flavored Mayonnaise
The ideas below are for using with 1 cup of home made mayonnaise.
1. Herb Mayonnaise: Add 6 tablespoons of fresh, chopped herbs like basil, cilantro, thyme, or parsley.
2. Roasted Garlic Basil Mayo: 1 head of roasted garlic (video here: https://youtu.be/g27ECqY4cxM), ¼ C finely chopped fresh basil.
3. Chipotle Lime Mayo: When making your mayo, switch out the lemon juice for fresh lime juice. In a blender or food processor, blend the mayo with 1 whole chipotle pepper (stem removed but leave seeds for more heat), ¼ C cilantro leaves, and 1 tsp. adobo sauce. Mix and enjoy!