🍎Essential Kitchen Tools And Books For Low Carb Living
Some or all links listed on this page are affiliate links for products that I’ll earn a tiny commission on per-sale. The cost to you, if you buy anything, is absolutely nothing.
✅Perfectly Browned Turkey:
Servings: About 15
A) Turkey, 20 pounder
B) Butter (3 sticks, melted + 4-5 tbsp softened)
C) Wine! (bottle of dry white wine; doesn’t need to be expensive)
D) sea salt
E) black pepper
F) More wine (optional, but if you are cooking the bird why not treat yourself!)
G) Cheesecloth!!! — http://amzn.to/2fmHaij
1. Wash your bird in cold water. Be sure to pat it dry inside and out with paper towels. Let it sit in the roasting rack for about 90 minutes to 2 hours — easier to butter the sucker!
2. Place roasting rack on lowest position in the oven and pre-heat to 450.
3. Combine the melted butter and wine in sauce pan. Soak your cheese cloth in the butter & wine mixture.
4. Meanwhile, salt and pepper the inside of the bird. Next rub the softened butter on the bird, including the bottom. Finally salt and pepper on the outside of the bird.
5. Next, wring out the cheesecloth and cover the bird. Make sure cheesecloth stays on the bird and inside roasting pan (don’t want it touching in the oven!!!). Using a pastry brush baste the cheesecloth with the wine and butter mixture. Keep your wine and butter mixture on the stove, warming up as needed to keep butter melted.
6. Place bird in the oven and cook for 30 minutes; after 30 minutes, turn the temperature down to 350. You want to baste the cheesecloth EVERY 30 minutes with a pastry brush to keep the bird moist. After 3 hours, remove cheesecloth but continue to baste the turkey every 30 minutes. If you don’t have enough of the wine and butter mix, use pan juices. If you find your turkey browning too fast in some spots after cheesecloth is off, cover that portion with tin foil to protect the skin. After 4 hours, check the temperature of the bird, poking your thermometer in the thickest part of the thigh without touching bone. When unstuffed bird reaches 180 degrees, remove from oven. If you are cooking a stuffed bird, the stuffing should be about 165 degrees.
7. Let the turkey rest for 30 minutes before carving.