Here’s a delicious #keto way to get your fat. The ginger and beef mingle deliciously with the slow-cooked savoy cabbage. It’s slightly sweet, juicy as heck, and a teensy bit crunchy due to the spring onions. We simply loved being able to add a little #lowcarb Asian flare to our dinner. Enjoy!
🍎My Amazon Store — Essential Tools/Books/Foods
Some or all links listed on this page are affiliate links for products that I’ll earn a tiny commission on per-sale. The cost to you, if you buy anything, is absolutely nothing.
🔔These 2 wonderful recipes come from The Ketogenic Cookbook (link: https://amzn.to/2OS5gof)
Asian Meatball Serves: 8
Yield: ~40; Serves 8
Total Carbs/Serving: 3.1g
Net Carbs/Serving: 3.1g
403 Calories/33g Protein/28g Fat/0 Fiber
✅Slow Cooker Cabbage
Total Carbs/Serving: 8.4g
Net Carbs/Serving: 3.9g
147 Calories/2.5g Protein/11.7g Fat/4.5g Fiber
Nutrition information comes from The Ketogenic Cookbook.
➡Ingredients: Slow Cooker Cabbage
1 Small head cabbage (green or red), cored, washed, drained and sliced into ¼” wide strips
¼ C Bone broth, beef or chicken (I used beef)
¼ Fat of choice — butter, coconut oil, ghee, duck fat; I used a combo of butter and coconut oil
2 tsp. Sea salt or pink Himalayan salt
➡Ingredients: Asian Meatballs
2 lbs. Ground beef
¾ C finely chopped white mushrooms (about a fist full of whole mushrooms)
¼ C finely chopped green onions
2 Large eggs, beaten2 tbsp. Tamari sauce, Coconut aminos
2 tsp. Freshly grated ginger
1 Garlic clove, crushed into a paste
➡Ingredients: Meatball Sauce
¼ C Beef bone broth
¼ C Coconut oil
¼ C Coconut Aminos
2 tsp. Freshly grated ginger
2 tbsp. finely chopped green onions
1 Garlic clove, minced
2 tbsp. Powdered erythritol (I used Swerve; original recipe calls for using 1/3 Cup)
¼ tsp. Guar gum (optional; needed only if you are using store purchased broth AND you want a thick sauce)
1. Place all of the ingredients for the slow cooker cabbage in a slow cooker; stir to combine. If you want to melt the butter and coconut oil before putting them in the slow cooker, that’s fine. Otherwise about 30-60 minutes into cooking, stir the ingredients again to mix the melted fat with the other ingredients. Cook on low for about 4-6 hours.
🔔Note: I stirred the ingredients once every hour because my slow cooker tends to run very hot even when set on “low.” This allowed me to see if it was cooking too fast before the cabbage was releasing it’s liquid (causing burning). I only did this because my slow cooker is really bad!
2. About 30 minutes before the cabbage is finished, preheat oven to 400 degrees.
3. In a large mixing bowl combine ground beef, mushrooms, green onions, eggs, tamari, ginger and the garlic paste in a large mixing. Shape meatballs into 1 ½” balls; place on rimmed baking sheet; place in oven for 20 minutes.
5. While meatballs are cooking, using a small saucepan, stirring often, mix the broth, coconut oil, coconut aminos, ginger, green onions, minced garlic, and erythritol over medium high heat until it begins bubbling. Remove from heat.
6. Mix a small amount of coconut oil (less than ¼ teaspoon) with the guar gum to prevent clumping. Add guar gum/coconut oil mixture to the sauce and stir until dissolved. Let sauce sit for 5 minutes to thicken.
7. Before sauce begins bubbling, mix in a little coconut oil with the guar gum to prevent clumping.
8. When meatballs are done, place in a serving dish and pour sauce over them. Garnish with black sesame seeds if desired. Serve with cabbage.