Though invented in 19th century Russia, Beef Stroganoff was born to be cooked in a slow cooker. Also, with an almost 50/50 split between fat and protein, it’s one of those great recipes that’s perfectly adaptable to a #lowcarb / #keto lifestyle.
And it’s easy to make!
🍎Best Slow Cooker I’ve Ever Had (Used In Video):
🍎Essential Kitchen Tools And Books For Low Carb Living
🔗My Cream Of Mushroom Soup Recipe: https://youtu.be/9zrxMZOBamU
🔗Look for zoodles at your grocery store. But you can also follow the instructions in this recipe: https://youtu.be/PIF4WurwQdY
Some or all links listed on this page are affiliate links for products that I’ll earn a tiny commission on per-sale. The cost to you, if you buy anything, is absolutely nothing.
✅Low Carb Beef Stroganoff
Total Carbs/Serving: 4.5g
Total Net Carbs/Serving: 3.9
*Nutrition: 527 Calories/40.7g Protein/38.5 Fat/4.5g Carbs/0.6 Fiber
2 lbs. Chuck roast, cut into 1½” cubes
1 tsp. Sea salt
¼-½ tsp. black pepper
1 Medium onion, diced
10 oz. Dot’s creamy mushroom soup
3 tbsp. Beef bone broth
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
½ C Sour cream
*1/2 – 1 tsp. Guar Gum (see note in Step 4)
*1-2 tsp. olive oil
1. In a large bowl, season the chuck cubes with salt and pepper. Mix the meat to ensure all pieces are covered.
2. Place the diced onion on the bottom of your slow cooker insert. Add the beef, soup, broth and Worcestershire sauce. Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for ~6 hours. Half way through the cooking stir the ingredients.
3. About 30 minutes before cooking ends, stir in the sour cream until all sour cream is absorbed.
4. About 15 minutes before cooking ends, mix ½ teaspoon of guar gum with 1 teaspoon of light olive oil until it forms a paste. Stir the paste into the stroganoff, mixing well. Place cover back on the slow cooker and let the sauce thicken for about 10 minutes. *Repeat step four if needed (see note below). NOTE: I repeated step 4, bringing the total of guar gum used to 1 tsp. This was enough for the consistency I wanted. I would not recommend going over 1 tsp. as guar gum can create a slimy texture to your sauce.
5. Serve over ½ cup of zoodles or cauliflower rice if desired (nutrition and carb count does not include either vegetable).
🔔SUBSTITUTION & Additions
1⃣ Instead of sour cream, you can use unsweetened full fat coconut milk. Recommend that you chill the can of coconut milk in the fridge overnight to cause the cream to separate from the milk. When ready to use, scrape out the cream into a medium bowl. To create the “sour” effect of sour cream, whisk in 1-2 tablespoons of lemon juice, ½ tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and a big pinch of sea salt.
2⃣ Yes, you can use 1 can of condensed cream of mushroom soup instead of making my mushroom soup recipe. However, it will change the nutrition profile, as it will add roughly 2-3g of carbs per serving. Just keep in mind most on the market include cornstarch and/or wheat flour, which are not great for low carbers. But it does simplify the recipe and probably eliminates the need for the guar gum and olive oil.
3⃣ Sliced mushrooms would be an ideal addition for this dish and really enhance the overall flavor.