What’s better than #lowcarb butter chicken that’s packed with flavor? Having it ready when you get home from work, of course! Yes, you can definitely enjoy Indian food without adding tons of carbs. It just takes a little prep, about 8 hours, and a willingness to be satisfied.
Best Slow Cooker I’ve Ever Had:
🍎Essential Kitchen Tools And Books For Low Carb Living
✅Low Carb Butter Chicken
Total Carbs/Serving: 9.6g
Total Net Carbs/Serving: 8g
Nutrition/Serving: 576 Calories/30.7g Protein/47.9g Fat/9.6g Carbs/1.6g Fiber
➡Marinade Ingredients (for Part 1 in Directions below)
2 Garlic cloves, finely diced
1” Ginger root, peeled and grated
1 Red chile pepper, seeded and finely diced (I used Serrano)
Juice from 1/3 of a lemon
*1 tsp. Coriander seed
*2 tsp. Cumin seeds
½ tsp. Ground turmeric
4 oz. Plain, full fat yogurt
½ tsp. Pink Himalayan salt or sea salt
¼ tsp. Ground black pepper
🔔WHOLE SPICE SEED SUBSTITUTIONS
1 tsp. coriander seed = 1¼ tsp. ground coriander
2 tsp. cumin seed = 2½ teaspoons ground cumin
➡Butter Chicken Ingredients (for Part 2 in Directions below)
1½ lbs. Boneless, skinless chicken thighs
3 tbsp. Ghee (Can use butter or coconut oil if preferred)
1 Small onion, sliced
2 gloves garlic, minced
1” ginger root, thinly sliced
½ tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. Ground coriander
1 tsp. Garam masala
½ tsp. Ground turmeric
Pinch chili powder
½ C Tomato puree
2 tbsp. Butter, diced
¼ C Chicken bone broth
½ C Heavy cream (can also use unsweetened coconut milk)
½ C Fresh cilantro, chopped
¼ tsp. Guar Gum, + pinch more
1. Start with making the marinade by slicing chicken into 1” to 1-1/2” pieces.
2. If using whole coriander and cumin seeds, heat small skillet over high heat. Once skillet is hot, add seeds, spreading evenly. Shake skilled to keep seeds moving to prevent burning. Toast until seeds become fragrant, about 1 minute. Pour seeds into a spice or coffee bean grinder and grind until all seeds are ground.
3. Add all your marinade ingredients and the chicken to a large bowl and mix until well combined. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
4. After the chicken has marinated, add the ghee and onion to your slow cooker, spreading along the bottom. Next add the chicken, garlic, ginger, spices, tomato puree, bone broth, cream, butter and cilantro. Give the ingredients a good stir to combine; set your slow cooker on low for 8 hours.
5. About an hour before cooking ends, add in the guar gum to thicken sauce. After about 20-30 minutes, check to see if you need to add in a pinch more of guar gum.
6. Serve hot with ½ cup of cauliflower rice or over greens like spinach, kale or chard.
🔔Guar Gum Note: If you don’t have guar gum, you may want to reduce the amount of liquid you are adding to the recipe as the chicken and onions will release water during the cooking process. Or you’ll need to do some reduction cooking to thicken the butter chicken.
You can use other low carb thickeners including: xanthum gum, coconut flour, and psyllium husk. I would suggest mixing in a little (combined with a small amount of coconut oil or ghee to prevent clumping) and checking every 20 minutes for thickness.
➡Chicken bone broth video: https://youtu.be/Z5zzzcdoa2Y