Who needs bread when you have eggplant? Enjoy low carb pizza and the joy of grilling outside at the same time. And they look great on a plate!
🍎Essential Kitchen Tools And Books For Low Carb Living
Some or all links listed on this page are affiliate links for products that I’ll earn a tiny commission on per-sale. The cost to you, if you buy anything, is absolutely nothing.
✅Low Carb Eggplant Pizza
Total Carbs: 10.9g
Net Carbs: 5.6g
Eggplant (1.25 lbs), sliced into 1/2″ thick
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 C Dot’s marinara sauce (link: https://youtu.be/XiBkn8zUJm8), or other low carb pizza/tomato sauce
1/3 C grated Parmesan cheese
1/3 C shredded mozzarella cheese
Toppings of your choosing
1. Place the slices of eggplant on a double layer of paper towels and sprinkle salt on both sides; let eggplant sit to draw out extra liquid; approximately 20-30 minutes.
2. Pre-heat oven to 375 and lightly oil a baking sheet.
3. Wipe liquid and excess salt off of eggplants with clean paper towel; lightly brush olive oil on both sides of eggplant and place on baking sheet.
4. Roast eggplant in oven until softened (but not mushy), about 20-25 minutes.
5. Remove eggplant from oven and adjust oven temperature to broil setting.
6. Begin topping the eggplant with your toppings, starting with the sauce followed by the cheese and finally toppings of your choice. Finish by topping with mozzarella.
7. Broil the pizzas until the cheese melts and is slightly browned, about 10 minutes; be sure to rotate pizzas half way through.
🔔Optional topping ideas: sausage, bacon, shrimp, ground beef or chicken, pepperoni, mushrooms, tomatoes, garlic, peppers, red onion, red pepper flakes and spinach. You can also use ricotta or fresh mozzarella cheeses too. Just don’t over load the eggplant. And while the carb count shouldn’t dramatically increase, you’ll still want to count your toppings.
If you like spice, after brushing the eggplant with olive oil, try adding some dried oregano basil and garlic powder.
Just before the pizzas are done, try cutting up some fresh basil into thin ribbons for topping (yum).
Tip for reducing carb count: Try using thickly sliced zucchini in place of the eggplant. Use the same salt trick to draw moisture from the zucchini (but reduce marinara sauce, and parmesan and mozzarella cheeses to 1/4C each). Cooking times will vary, but your total carb count drops to 5g and net carbs to 3.5g.