Ok, this is the Holy Enchilada for low carbers. Yes! You CAN have low carb enchiladas. The grain-free tortillas are sold by Thrive Market, and they absolutely rock. The dish as a whole is very low carb, compared to normal enchiladas, and you can easily modify it according to your goals.
🍎Essential Kitchen Tools And Books For Low Carb Living
Some or all links listed on this page are affiliate links for products that I’ll earn a tiny commission on per-sale. The cost to you, if you buy anything, is absolutely nothing.
Thrive Market: http://ThriveMarket.com
Roasted Salsa Verde (for those who want more challenge): https://youtu.be/l1-3IKcKK1g
✅Beef Enchiladas with Salsa Verde
Serves 7; Yield: 7 enchiladas
Total Carbs/Serving: 8.9g
Total Net Carbs/Serving: 6.4g
Nutrition: 450 Calories/17.9g Protein/35.2g Fat/8.9g Carbs/2.4g Fiber/6.4 Net Carbs
7 Coconut wraps
2 tbsp. Coconut oil, Olive oil or fat of choice
1 lb. Ground beef
1 tbsp. Taco seasoning (see recioe below)
*1 ¼ C Salsa verde (see recipe below)
2/3 C Sour cream
2 tbsp. Unsalted butter
1/8 tsp. Guar gum (optional)
½ – 1 C water, divided
1 C Shredded Mexican cheese blend
2 oz. Queso Fresco cheese, crumbled (optional)
*You can also get salsa verde from most grocery stores. Just check the nutrition label and ingredient list for carb count and added sugars, respectively.
**If you are not adding Queso Fresco, I’d recommend adding more of the Mexican cheese instead.
1. Begin by making your salsa verde (see directions below).
2. Preheat oven to 350. Oil a 9 x 13 baking dish with fat of choice; set aside.
3. In a medium skillet, brown your ground beef; about half way through, mix in your taco seasoning. When the ground beef is browned, cover and set aside.
4. In a small pot, melt the butter over medium heat and stir in the guar gum, making sure there are no lumps. Add in sour cream and slowly stir in ¼ to1/2 cup of water (if making salsa verde, use the water from cooking the tomatillos and jalapenos). You do not want a watery sauce; the sauce should be smooth and creamy. Stir until sour cream is completely dissolved. Cover and set a side.
5. Add ¼ C of the salsa verde to your baking dish and spread along the bottom.
6. To make the enchiladas, add 1/7 of the beef near the bottom third of the wrap. Drizzle a little of the sour cream sauce on top of the beef. Fold the wrap over the beef, slightly tucking the end under the beef. Fold the other side over (tucking back in any beef that may fall out the ends) and place the seam side down in your baking dish. Repeat with the remaining wraps. If possible, try to include a little space between each enchilada to allow for sauce to drip in between each.
7. Pour the salsa verde evenly over the enchiladas.
8. Sprinkle the Mexican cheese over the top of the enchiladas.
9. Using a spoon, drizzle the sour cream sauce over the enchiladas.
10. Next, if using Queso Fresco, sprinkle on top of the enchiladas.
11. Bake the enchiladas for 20-30 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Yield: ~4 ½ – 5 cups; Serving size: 2 tbsp.
Total Carbs/Serving: 0.7g
Total Net Carbs/Serving: 0.5g
Nutrition: 3.1 Calories/0.1g Protein/0.1g Fat/0.7g Carbs/0.2g Fiber/0.5g Net Carbs
6 Medium tomatillos (more or less, depending on sizes), skins removed and washed
3 Jalapenos, stems removed
1/3 Large white onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves
Fist full of cilantro (with stems)
½ – 1 cup of water
Juice from 1 lime
Kosher salt, to taste
➡Salsa Verde Directions
1. Fill a medium pot with water and add the tomatillos and jalapenos; over medium high heat, bring the water to a boil and soften the tomatillos until you can easily pierce them with a fork, about 5-7 minutes.
2. Place the tomatillos, jalapenos, ½ C-1C of water from the pot, garlic, cilantro and salt in a food processor or blender and chop until you reach salsa like consistency (taste as you go to determine if you need more salt).
3. Pour the salsa verde into bowl, stir in the onions, cover and place in the refrigerator to cool and thicken.
✅Taco Seasoning Recipe:
Serving Size: 1 tbsp. Yield: ~6 tbsp.
Total Carbs/Serving: 2.3g
Net Carbs/Serving: 1g
Nutrition: 17 Calories/0.5g Protein/0.4g Fat/2.3g Carbs/1.2g Fiber
2 tbsp. Chili powder
1 tbsp. Ground cumin
1 ½ tsp. Smoked paprika
2 tsp. Pink Himalayan salt
2 tsp. Ground black pepper
1 tsp. Ground coriander
½ tsp. Garlic powder
½ tsp. Onion powder
½ tsp. Red pepper flakes
½ tsp. Dried oregano leaves
➡Taco Seasoning Directions
1. Mix all ingredients together. Store in an air-tight container in a cool, dark place. Lasts for 3-6 months but freshest during the first month.