🍎Essential Kitchen Tools And Books For Low Carb Living
Some or all links listed on this page are affiliate links for products that I’ll earn a tiny commission on per-sale. The cost to you, if you buy anything, is absolutely nothing.
✅Low Carb Strawberry Shortcake Dessert
Serves 6 people
Carbs Per Serving: 8.8g
Net Carbs Per Serving: 5.6g
1 pint of strawberries
1 tsp. Swerve or other low carb sweetener (optional)
1C hazelnut flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. fine grain sea salt
1 large egg
1 tsp. vanilla or maple extract
3 tbsp. butter, melted (measure butter before melting)
6 ounces clotted cream, divided
Preparing the Strawberries:
1. Wash and cut the stems from strawberries. Next either slice in to thick pieces or dice strawberries and place in a bowl.
2. At this point is you are using sweetener, mix it with the strawberries. Let the strawberries sit at room temperature for about 20 minutes so they can start releasing their juices.
3. After 20 minutes use a potato masher, smash about 1/3 of the strawberries to release their juice and then mix the strawberries once more. You don’t have to smash all of them!
✅Baking the Biscuit Dough:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper (easy clean up!).
2. In a bowl, mix the flour, baking powder and salt until well combined. Try to break apart any large clumps. Next stir in the eggs, extract and butter. The mixture should be crumbly but allow you to form biscuits.
3. Using a cookie scoop, drop the dough on the baking sheet. If you don’t have a cookie scoop, then use 2 tablespoons of dough for each biscuit. Using your hands, shape the dough to form the biscuit into desired shape and height. Be sure not to over handle the dough. While the dough doesn’t spread much, keep biscuits a few inches apart. Any leftover dough, divide evenly among the biscuits.
4. Bake until the biscuits are firm, about 15-20 minutes (they don’t brown that much…just a very light golden color).
5. Let the biscuits cool for about 10 – 15 minutes.
✅Platting the Strawberry Shortcake:
1. Using a serrated knife, slice the biscuits (they will be crumbly) in half.
2. Top the bottom half of a biscuit with about ¼ cup of the strawberries. Top the strawberries with 1 ounce of clotted cream before adding the top of the biscuit. Drizzle about 1 tablespoon of the strawberries/juice over the tops of the biscuits and serve immediately.