Pumpkins are a naturally low carb food, and you can use them for more than just pies and flavorings. In this low carb recipe, I’m going to roast them — and then eat them! 🙂
🍎Essential Kitchen Tools And Books For Low Carb Living
Some or all links listed on this page are affiliate links for products that I’ll earn a tiny commission on per-sale. The cost to you, if you buy anything, is absolutely nothing.
Serving size: ½ cup; Servings: 4-6
Total Carbs Per Serving: 3.8g
Total Net Carbs Per Serving: 3.5g
🔔Note: Pumpkin is very filling and I found it hard to eat more than ½ Cup!
3-4 pound Pie Pumpkin
1. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees; Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Wash pumpkin, removing all dirt off.
3. Cutting the pumpkin:
1⃣Option 1: Placing a clever/butcher’s knife on top of pumpkin (where stem was removed) and hit top of knife with a soft or wooden mallet to push the knife through the pumpkin.
2⃣Option 2: Cut the pumpkin open like you would a Jack O’ Lantern: Slice off the top (where stem was); You may need to first slice off a small piece of the side to help steady the pumpkin when removing the top. Next, cut the pumpkin down the middle starting from the top to the bottom.
4. Using a serrated spoon or ice cream scoop, remove the seeds and stringy pulp (save seeds for roasting!).
5. Sprinkle the inside of the pumpkin with kosher salt.
6. Place the pumpkin halves on the parchment paper lined baking sheet with the skins up.
7. Place in oven and bake until the pumpkin can easily be pierced with a paring knife, about 30-35 minutes.
8. Remove from oven and let cool for about 30-60 minutes.
9. *When pumpkin is cool enough for you to handle, peel off skin. Dice pumpkin into 1” cubes, top with butter (or a cinnamon compound butter) and serve.
🔔Note: Pumpkin Chili
I added my pumpkin to my chili recipe. Besides the pumpkin, I used stew beef instead of ground beef and added 1 tsp. of ground cinnamon to the chili. I also used 3 tbsp of chili seasoning rather than 4. The chili serving size goes from 8 to 12 (serving size is about 1 cup); Pumpkin chili total carb and net carb counts: 6.6g and 5.5g, respectively
You can find my chili recipe here: https://youtu.be/MzzlzDROL1Y