Sometimes traditional is best. Enjoy this low carb dinner roast and get healthier at the same time.
🍎Essential Kitchen Tools And Books For Low Carb Living
Some or all links listed on this page are affiliate links for products that I’ll earn a tiny commission on per-sale. The cost to you, if you buy anything, is absolutely nothing.
✅Keto Family Dinner Roast
Total carbs per serving: 7.7g
Total net carbs per serving: 6g
643 Calories/59.9g Protein/38.5 Fat/1.7g Fiber
*Assumes 6 servings using a 4-pound chuck roast. The nutrition data doesn’t include the 2 side dish options I listed below the directions.
3-5 lbs. Chuck Roast
2-3 tbsp. Tallow
4 Stalks celery, cut into 1” pieces
2 Carrots, cut into 1” pieces
6 oz Baby Bella mushrooms, quartered
2 Cloves garlic, minced
1 Small onion, quartered
½ C Red Wine (optional)
2-3 C Beef Broth
2 Rosemary Sprigs
2 Thyme sprigs
1. Preheat oven to 275.
2. Season roast with salt and pepper.
3. In a Dutch oven or roasting pan, heat tallow over medium heat.
4. When oil is hot enough, sear the roast (meat should sizzle once it hits the oil) for about 3 minutes on both sides. Remove roast from Dutch oven.
5. Add onions, carrots and celery and brown vegetables, about 2-4 minutes.
6. Once vegetables are lightly browned add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
7. Pour in red wine to deglaze pan, about 2-3 minutes. Make sure to scrap up the brown bits from bottom of pan.
8. Stir in mushrooms then place the roast back in the pan on top of the vegetables. 9. Pour broth on top of roast, using just enough broth to bring liquid half way up the roast. Add rosemary and thyme. Cover and move to oven and cook for 3-4 hours. Roast is done when meat easily shreds.
🔔Using A Slow Cooker: If using a slow cooker, follow steps 2-7, however in step 5, do not include the celery. After deglazing pan, pour the ingredients into slow cooker. Place the roast on top of the onions & carrots. Add the mushrooms and celery on top of the roast. Add in Rosemary and thyme. Pour about in 1 cup of beef broth on top of roast (liquid does not evaporate out of a slow cooker and having too much liquid can actually dry out the roast). Cover and set on low for 8-10 hours. After 8.5 hours, test the roast – if you can easily pull it apart with 2 forks it is done.
🔔Side Options for Pot Roast:
Option 1: Serve with ½ C of cauliflower mash (recipe here: https://youtu.be/VVmNPYVvrog). That brings the total and net carb counts to 8.6g and 6.6g, respectively.
Option 2: Serve with a side of 10 4”-long green beans. That brings the total and net carb counts to 8.3g and 6.4g, respectively.