Here’s how to make naturally low carb Bangers And Mash — using sweet potatoes!
🍎Essential Kitchen Tools And Books For Low Carb Living
Some or all links listed on this page are affiliate links for products that I’ll earn a tiny commission on per-sale. The cost to you, if you buy anything, is absolutely nothing.
✅Keto Bangers And Mash
Total carbs per serving: 26.6g*
Total net carbs per serving: 21.9g*
*Substitute cauliflower mash in place of the sweet potato to lower the total carb count to 8.6g and net carbs to 5.7g per serving.
4 tbsp. unsalted butter + 2 more for sweet potato
8 sausage links, about 3 oz per link
4 ounces of bacon, cut in half
1 red onion, sliced
4 garlic cloves, crushed and skins removed
4 sprigs fresh Rosemary
1.5 lbs. plum tomatoes, quartered
1 cup bone broth, optional
➡For Sweet Potato Mash:
2 Medium sweet potatoes (see substitution note above)
Chili Powder for flavoring
Sea salt & pepper to taste, optional
1. Preheat oven to 400. Clean the potatoes, cutting off any eyes or blemishes. Pierce the potatoes skin 4-5 times around the potatoes. Place the potatoes on a tin foil lined baking sheet and bake until they can be easily pierced with a fork, about 45-60 minutes.
2. When potatoes are done, remove them from the oven (leaving the oven on), and place the potatoes in a bowl covered with a kitchen towel.
While the potatoes are cooling enough for you to handle them, melt butter over medium heat in a large skillet. Add sausage and sear on all sides; remove sausage from pan.
3. Cook bacon in same pan until it is cooked but not crispy (be sure to flip the bacon once). Next, add onions and garlic and cook until garlic becomes fragrant — about a minute. Next stir in the broth (if using), rosemary, and tomatoes. Cook until tomatoes begin to break down — about 10 minutes.
4. Remove pan from heat and add back in the sausages and any remaining juice. Cook in the oven for about 20 minutes.
5. Next prepare the sweet potato mash by cutting the potatoes open and scooping out the insides with a spoon. Add the remaining 2 tbsp. of butter, a pinch of sea salt, pepper and 1-2 pinches of chili powder; begin whipping the potatoes with a whisk or fork. Place the potatoes in an oven safe serving dish and place in the oven.
6. Remove the bangers and mash from the oven at the same time. Sprinkle more chili powder on the mash if desired. Serve immediately.