I’ve run around a lot today, so I decided to keep dinner simple. I’m going with an easy marinade with just 3 ingredients – extra virgin olive oil, low-carb soy sauce and garlic. I started the marinade at 10:00 a.m. this morning.
I used to make this with 1/3 cup of olive oil and soy sauce. I needed to cut back drastically since the olive oil killed me on points. I find that adding 2 tablespoons of each gives me the flavor I want without eating up so many points.
For the sides, we’re grilling asparagus, white onion and yellow peppers. I’m also steaming Brussels sprouts. We’ll have enough for leftovers. The veggies provide about 6 g of carbs for dinner. For those of you tracking your points, veggies are free, but you need to count the olive oil. I’m only using 1 teaspoon — not for flavor but for the grill. So this is a very low point, satisfying meal.
Marinated Flank Steak
Net Carbs: 0
Weight Watchers PointsPlus: 6
Serving Size: 4 ounces/person
- 2 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp. Low Carb Soy Sauce
- 5 Garlic bulbs, diced or minced
- 1 Flank Steak
- Score the surface of the steak with 1/4 inch deep knife cuts, about an inch apart, across the grain of the meat.
- Combine the marinade ingredients. Place steak and marinade ingredients in a large freezer bag. Coat the steak well with the marinade. Seal the bag.
- Chill and marinate for at least 2 hours.
- *Take the steak out of the marinade bag and place on the hot grill. Grill for 4-6 minutes on each side. Be sure to turn the steak over half way through.
- **Remove from grill and place on a cutting board. Let the meat rest for 10 minutes before carving. Recommend wrapping in foil to keep it warm.
- Make very thin slices, against the grain, and at a slight diagonal so that the slices are wide.
*When you take the steak out, you can season it with black pepper if you like.
**Flank steak is best medium rare. Cook it too much and it gets tough to chew.