I’ve been waiting since yesterday for the plumber to swing by and fix our busted water pipes (thanks Polar Vortex). Digging though my recipes I came across this old favorite chicken dish. It’s from one of my favorite cookbooks, Lean and Lovin’ It. The flavor is amazing thanks to the rum!
This dish goes well with quinoa mixed with garlic and a side of Cajun seasoned collard greens. To lower your carbs, skip the grains add roasted peppers with cilantro and fresh lime juice.
Unfortunately for me I only have frozen broccoli and cauliflower. It will have to do because I want this chicken!
Chicken with Jamaican Jerk Sauce
Net Carbs: 11
Weight Watchers PointsPlus: 5
- 1-1/3 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2-2/3 tsp. soy sauce, low carb
- 4 tbsp. Jamaican rum
- 1-1/3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 C fresh chives, chopped
- 4 chicken breasts, skinless and boneless
- 2-2/3 tsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. + 2 tsp. light brown sugar
- 1-1/3 white onions, medium, chopped
- Mix marinade ingredients in a bowl until well combined. Place chicken breasts in the bowl with the marinade and let sit for 10 minutes at room temperature. Be sure to turn the chicken to coat all sides.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium and add oil and sugar. Cook until the sugar is almost completely melted. You don’t have to worry about the sugar burning so no need for stirring. Remove chicken from the marinade and place it in the skillet, reserving marinade. Cook on both sides until light brown, about 6 minutes total.
- Add the marinade and the onion and cook until chicken is cooked through and the onion is soft, about 10 minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat. Place a breast on each plate, spoon the sauce over each chicken breast and serve.