There are days where I don’t have a meal planned for lunch and I just have to wing it. Today was one of those days. Looking in my fridge I had grilled chicken breasts (with this BBQ rub), bibb lettuce and salsa. Presto — Chicken Tacos!!
A simple, healthy small meal that I can whip together. Plus it’s very paleo, Weight Watchers and low carb friendly! The “tacos” really hit the spot after today’s workout. I used 4 large bibb lettuce leaves (great for crunch) and a 6-ounce chicken breast. What really made it was the fresh salsa! Delish!
Fresh salsa makes most dishes taste amazing and is a good substitute for salad dressings. I always keep some in my fridge. Now, I make a pretty mean salsa, but I had to try this recipe by the Food Network’s Alton Brown. I’m not sure, but I think the ancho chilies and the roasted jalapeños that add to its awesomeness.
Perhaps I’ll work on my salsa over the weekend. If I can perfect it, I’ll share. In the meantime, try making Alton Brown’s amazing salsa.
Dot’s Chicken Lettuce Tacos with Fresh Salsa
Net Carbs: 6g
Weight Watchers PointsPlus: 8
- 4 bibb lettuce leaves
- 6-ounces cooked chicken breast, boneless, skinless
- 4 tbsp Alton Brown Salsa
- hot sauce (optional)
- 1-ounce avocado (optional — this will change the carb and point value)
- Dice chicken breast into 1/2″ cubes (I heated mine up)
- Layer the lettuce leaves on top of each other so you have 2 “shells” or wraps, each made up of 2 lettuce leaves
- Mix the chicken and salsa in a bowl; add in avocado and/or hot sauce if you want more heat. Split the chicken mixture between the two “shells.”
Alton Brown’s Salsa Recipe
Net Carbs: 3g
Weight Watchers PointsPlus: 1
Servings: Up to 12
- 6 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 jalapeños, seeded and minced, plus 2 roasted, skinned and chopped jalapeños
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- ½ red onion, finely chopped
- 2 dry ancho chilies, seeded, cut into short strips and snipped into pieces
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lime, juiced
- chili powder, salt and pepper to taste
- fresh cilantro, chopped, to taste
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix. Chill in refrigerator for 12 hours to fuse the flavors.