This morning I tried a new recipe — the Paleo Sausage Egg Mcmuffin. I just replaced the sausage with bacon and, at the hubby’s urging, placed everything on Oopsie bread. So that added 1.2g of net carbs to my morning meal. Not a big deal as it was delicious.
My Love Of Breakfast Sandwiches
I spent many mornings pulling up to a McDonald’s drive-thru window collecting a Bacon, Egg & Cheese Biscuit or an Egg McMuffin (always with a large OJ). I was just too rushed in the mornings to make a healthy meal at home. Or so I told myself. So I got fatter and made McDonald’s richer. Smart!
In the very early stages of my low carb way of eating, these little sandwiches were one of the last things I gave up. Confession time: After weighing in at Weight Watchers, I’d head over to the nearby Mickey D’s before breakfast ended. That’s right. I couldn’t resist the lure of the mighty Bacon, Egg & Cheese Biscuit. It called to me. How did I justify doing something like that? Easy. I told myself, “I did good this week. I deserve a reward. Besides, I’ve got time to burn this thing off before my next weigh in.”
Thankfully I grew out of that self-destructive thinking. But I did miss these little sandwiches. Well thanks to this little recipe from Nom Nom Paleo (a great recipe site you must check out!) and Oopsie bread, I can enjoy a much healthier and lower carb Egg McMuffin breakfast.
Egg Rings! A Must For Any Kitchen
Before the recipe, I must say I don’t understand why I didn’t pick up a pair of egg rings sooner. These are awesome for poaching, frying (sunny side up or down) or creating McMuffins. Goodbye thin egg whites! If you don’t have egg rings as part of your kitchen arsenal, I suggest you pick up a pair.
Paleo Bacon Egg McMuffin On Oopsie Bread
Net Carbs: 6.2g
Weight Watchers PointsPlus: 10 (with recipe changes)
Serving Size: 1
- 2 tbsp. of ghee*, divided (to cut WW points, omit and use nonstick spray)
- 2-3 slices bacon
- 2 large eggs
- Kosher salt
- black pepper
- 1/4 C water
- 1 heaping tbsp. guacamole
- 2 slices Oopsie bread, optional
*The original recipe on the Nom Nom Paleo site is approximately 16 WW points. Eliminating the ghee significantly reduces the point value. Also, you can get the points value down further by making smaller Oopsie bread. The image in the photo shows larger slices, so I’m counting the full 4 points for those. Reducing the size of the bread can cut the point value by 1-2 points. Not using the Oopsie bread reduces the carb count to 5g and the WW points to 6.
- Cook bacon according to package directions. When bacon is done, clean pan.
- Heat skillet over medium-high heat, add 1 tbsp of ghee or spray pan with nonstick spray. Grease your egg rings with the other tbsp of ghee (or use the nonstick spray).
- Using two bowls, crack one egg into each bowl. Pierce the yolks with a fork.
- Place the egg rings into the pan. Pour an egg into each mold. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add water to pan, being careful to keep the water outside of the molds.
- Turn the heat down to low and cover the pan. Cook the eggs for about 3 minutes or until cooked through. Move the eggs to a paper towel to dry off the bottoms. Assemble on the Oopsie bread (egg, bacon, guacamole, egg). Enjoy!