Lots going on over the next few days. The weather forecast is awesome and I intend to spend my mornings training for my 5k or upping my walks to 8 miles. To save time in the mornings I decided to whip up an egg casserole to last us for the next few days.
Breakfast casseroles are the easiest things to make. All you need are 8-10 eggs (for an 8 x 8 dish), some sautéed veggies, 1 cup of cheese and a protein. Toss in a little salt and pepper and you have yourself an amazingly tasty way to start the day.
My veggies of choice: spinach and diced baby bella mushrooms. Funny, when I was a kid (translation: in my 20s) I hated spinach and mushrooms. Never tried either but I hated them. Now, I absolutely love them. That’s what happens when you stop being stupid and try something new.
Bacon, Spinach & Mushroom Casserole
Net Carbs: 1g
Weight Watchers PP: 6
- olive oil, coconut oil or butter (just enough for greasing 8 x 8 casserole dish)
- 10 large eggs
- Bacon, 9 strips, cooked and broken into 3rds
- 3-oz baby bella mushrooms, coarsely chopped, sautéed
- 8 C spinach, sautéed
- 4-oz Cheddar cheese (Monterey Jack, Swiss or other cheese if you prefer), shredded
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375; using the oil, grease the bottom and sides of 8 x 8 dish (otherwise cleaning becomes a nightmare).
- Place eggs in a bowl and whisk until scrambled. Mix in salt and pepper. Set aside.
- On bottom of casserole dish, layer bacon pieces, sautéed mushrooms and spinach, and shredded cheese. Pour eggs into dish and gently stir so all ingredients are well mixed with the eggs.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes; remove from oven and serve immediately.