I pulled this rabbit out of a hat last night. Fearing we’d had to eat out, I found a mix of beef, pork and lamb sitting in my freezer — perfect for meatballs! I used an Atkins recipe, so it’s low carb, high in fat and protein. A mix that is not as Weight Watchers friendly as I’d like. But if you have the points, it is very yummy.
The broccoli/bok choy dish is a modified version from Martha Stewart. I tried to make this from memory as both my iPad and iPhone were dead. Turns out I didn’t include the garlic, ginger or soy sauce. But thankfully I thought of using red pepper flakes. Delish!
I ended up serving 1/2 of a hot-house tomato on the side — just to add a splash of color to our plate. It added a couple of carbs, but since I did my muscle workout, I had a few to spare.
Baked Meatballs with Sautéed Broccoli & Bok Choy
Net Carbs: 7
Weight Watchers PointsPlus: 13
Servings: 6 (You’ll have 2 leftover servings of the meatballs)
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 green onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 lbs. ground veal
- 1/2 lbs. ground beef
- 1/2 lbs. ground pork
- 1/2 c grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
Sautéed Broccoli & Bok Choy Ingredients*
- 1 lbs. bok choy
- 1 lbs. broccoli
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
- Preheat your oven to 375 F.
- In a skillet, heat 1 tbsp. of olive oil and add the onion, cooking onion for 5 minutes or until onion is soft. Stir frequently to prevent burning. Add in 3 cloves of minced garlic and cook for another minute.
- Transfer the garlic and onion to a bowl and add in veal, pork, beef, cheese, eggs, salt and pepper. Mix ingredients.
- Take pieces of the mixture and roll into golf ball size meatballs. Place meatballs in a 2-1/4″ deep roasting pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut the white stalks from the bok choy into 1-inch pieces and coarsely chop the green leaves. Keep the stalks separated from the green leaves.
- Cut broccoli into bite size florets.
- Using your large skillet, boil 1/2 c water. Add the broccoli and the bok choy stalks, reserving the leaves for later and cover. Simmer over medium-low until broccoli is bright green, about 5 minutes. Uncover, cook on high until remaining water evaporates, 2-4 minutes.
- Add bok choy greens, remaining olive oil, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes and toss often, cooking for about 2 minutes.
One thought on “Baked Meatballs with Sautéed Broccoli & Bok Choy”
Pingback: Homemade, Low Carb Marinara Sauce | Dot to Trot