With half a turkey breast and a leg sitting in the fridge, I started wondering how I could jazz up dinner. I came across this George Stella recipe for Mac & Cheese (substituting cauliflower for the macaroni!) and it hit me. Add the turkey to increase the protein!
I ended up dividing the casserole up into 8 single serving size containers. A perfect Grab-&-Go lunch for my working hubby.
The dish is delicious and I didn’t miss the pasta at all…of course all of that glorious bacon helped.
For those of you not eating low-carb and want to use fewer points, try using fat-free cream and Cheddar cheeses, and less bacon (I can’t believe I wrote that!).
Mock Mac ‘N Cheese
Net Carbs: 3g
Weight Watcher PointsPlus: 9
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 C broccoli, chopped
- 1 C cooked turkey, diced (can also use chicken)
- 3/4 C heavy cream
- 4 oz cream cheese, sliced
- 1-1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 2 C cheddar cheese, divided
- 6 oz. cooked bacon, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375; spray a 9 x 9 inch casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Add the cauliflower and broccoli for about 5 minutes. Drain well; pat between layers of paper towels to dry. Transfer to casserole dish along with the turkey.
- In a small saucepan, bring the cream to simmer; whisk in cream cheese, mustard, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Stir in 1-½ C of the cheese and whisk until the Cheddar melts and combines with sauce. Remove from heat and pour over the ingredients in the casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the bacon all over the top along with ½ C of Cheddar. Bake for 15 minutes or until browned and bubbly. Cool for 5 minutes before serving.