For the challenge I decided to take another look at my macros. Normally I like to take a look at these numbers about every 6-8 months. Well with my weight gain, limited movement and doing this reset, it’s a perfect time to revisit my macros.
While I’m not focusing on calories, I want to stay within 1400-1600 kcal a day. For the reset, my macros break down as 68% fat, 27% protein and 5% carbs.
I’m not going to fret about hitting my macros spot on every single meal. I’m using this as a guide. On days I am really hungry, then I’ll add more fat. Those days where I’m not as peckish, then I’ll cut back on fats and carbs.
However, I’m going to still go with eating my typical daily protein range of 12 – 14 ounces (84g – 98g).
If you want to calculate your macros, there are 2 keto sites I use that have easy calculators: Ruled.me and KetoDietApp.com.
Getting Strict With Food
I decided to follow Dr. Eric Westman’s guide for going very low carb. As I mentioned yesterday, I’m track all the carbs I eat. No more eliminating fiber from my carb count. I’ve made a few tweaks but that’s because I’ve discovered certain foods I’m snacking on way too often like cheese and nuts.
Which means I’m reducing the amount and variety of vegetables I’m eating. And berries are forbidden this month and maybe longer.
So what exactly am I eating and avoiding? Drum roll please….
Dot’s Food List
- Grass fed beef, lamb, veal, venison
- Free range pork
- Free range eggs, poultry
- Wild caught seafood (nothing battered)
- Uncured, sugar-free bacon, ham, and deli meat
Leafy Greens: Up to 2 Cups/day
- Cabbage (all types)
- Greens (all types)
- Lettuce (all types)
- If it is a leaf, I can eat it!
Non-Starchy Vegetables (1 Cup/Day)
Below isn’t a complete list but gives you an idea
- Brussels Sprouts
- Peppers (bells & chilies)
- Snow peas/Snap peas
Fats & Oils: Cooking
- Bacon fat
- Coconut oil
- Chicken fat
- Duck fat
- Red palm oil
Fats & Oils: Dressings, sauces, flavoring and eaten cold
- Avocado oil
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Flaxseed oil
- Macadamia nut oil
- MCT oil
- Sesame oil
Foods In Limited Quantities
- Allowed up to 2 ounces in a day; I’m only allowing this 2 times a week
- Includes hard, aged cheeses like Swiss and Cheddar
- Brie, Camembert blue, mozzarella, Gruyère
- Cream cheese, goat cheese
- Avoid processed cheeses like Velveeta
- Check the label: carb count should be less than 1g per serving
- Up to 2 tablespoons a day
- Includes heavy, heavy whipping or sour creams
- No Half and half or milk
- No milk
- Up to 3 tablespoons a day
Fatty Fruits & Other Foods
- Avocado: ½ per day
- Olives (black or green): up to 6 in a day
- Nuts & Seeds — while allowed I’m actually giving them up for the reset
- Lemon/Lime Juice: up to 2 teaspoons in a day
- Reduced sugar/sugar-free ketchup in very small amounts
- Soy Sauce: up to 2 tablespoons in a day
- Pickles (dill or sugar-free): Up to 2 servings in a day
- Packaged/deli snacks should be less than 1g of carbs per serving
- Pepperoni slices
- Pork rinds
- Deli meat roll-ups with cheese
- Deviled Eggs
- Stevia drops
- Monk Fruit
Do Not Eat List
- White sugar
- Brown sugar
- Maple Syrup
- Corn Syrup
- Fruit juice
Starches: “Complex” Carbohydrates
- All grains
- Cereals & oatmeal
- Beans and peas
- Most root vegetables – carrots, parsnips, corn and potatoes (all types) as well as French fries and potato chips
Fats to avoid
- Margarine & hydrogenated oils
- Mayo made from soybean oil
- Salad dressings with more than 1-2g of carbs per serving
- Avoid “lite” or “low fat” or “Fat-free” foods because these are commonly higher in carbs and loaded with sugar.
While it is just day 2, I’m really feeling great. I’m already sleeping better and my energy level and mental focus are much better. Woo hoo!
16 thoughts on “Keto Reset Day 2: What Am I Eating?”